Friday, August 25, 2006

They say it's your birthday

I am now one year older than I was a year ago. It is weird when you think about how many years you have been alive on earth and how many years ago you exited your mother's womb.

Yesterday, my coworkers gave me a lovely card for my birthday. One of the sales reps brought me a colourful bouquet of flowers. Another sales rep got me creme brulee from Capers (I love their brulee).

Gia met me after work and we walked around Burrard and 4th Avenue in Kitsilano. We had dinner at Las Margaritas. I had the usually salmon burrito and a strawberry margarita. (I am such a lush.) Delicious as always!

Gia gave me a framed picture of us from SantaCon in a beautiful frame. It was such a lovely gift. I adore it!

 

On Friday in the afternoon, I went to see the current exhibits at the Vancouver Art Gallery. I had been waiting for a few months for someone to go with me to see the exhibits, but decided I should go by myself for the exhibits were closed. I was very excited to see the Arthur Erickson: Critical Works exhibit and the Some Assembly Required: Contemporary Prefabricated Houses exhibit.

Arthur Erickson is a world reknowned architect and is considered a Master in his field. He has designed many beautiful buildings, including Simon Fraser University, the Museum of Anthropology, Robson Square and Law Courts, the Waterfall Building, among others. The exhibit showcases his works, current projects and his life at large. (Additional Arthur Erickson link.)

The Prefabricated Houses exhibit is exciting to me because I am interested in sustainable living. Prefabricated design and philosophy focuses around using time efficiently, using renewable resources, and creating less waste.

I dream of some day living in a Dwell House designed by Resolution: 4 Architecture.

Equally desirable is a Sunset Breezehouse designed by Michelle Kauffman. Kauffman also designed the Glidehouse. I got an opportunity to tour the Glidehouse at last year's BC Home Show.

Both houses would reduce my impact on the earth and increase my health and wellness. Both houses are built and assembled in sections so that when the pieces are delivered, they can easily be assembled. The parts can be created and built on site within months. The Sunset Breezehouse can be built to accomodate future solar panels.

 

While I was standing on the corner of Robson and Burrard Streets, I heard some bike bells. I saw the Critical Mass riders ride down Robson Street towards Thurlow to promote cycling and transit riding in Vancouver. Drivers were just annoyed and honked
furiously. I chuckled a bit.

After visiting the VAG, I went to meet Kelly in the West End. We chatted and sat on her balcony for awhile. Soaking in the warm evening weather and catching up on life. For dinner, we went to Cafe Luxy. This Italian restaurant is one of our favourites. I choose the Pollo alla Luxy (my usual favourite) with chicken, penne, sun-dried tomatoes, bell peppers in a rose sauce. Kelly went for her favourite of seafood lasagna. We ended the evening with a walk along the seawall by Sunset Beach. Saw the innushuk for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics.

Listening to: Texas - Inner Smile

 

No comments: