Thursday, July 27, 2006

Viva Italia

We went to Connie's Cook House on 4th Avenue for dinner. Connie's has good Chinese food at reasonable prices. We were sweltering a bit in the restaurant, but we had our fill of lemon chicken, beef and broccoli stir-fry, and prawn chow mein. Left overs to boot!

We wandered next door to Does Your Mother Know?, a magazine shop. This shop has almost every kind of magazine imaginable. I always see one or two that I had no idea existed. I headed straight for the Home and Interior Design section to get my fill of house pr0n. I had seen most of the mags this month and I am eagerly anticipating next month's selection.

Afterwards, we dropped off the leftovers at my mate's, refueled and refreshed, then headed down to Kitsilano Beach to grab a spot before the fireworks. We played some Uno for about 45 minutes to kill time.

This was the first night of the HSBC Celebration of Light. The first country competing was Italy. I only saw one night of fireworks last year--Canada. It was so awful, we left halfway through. However, Italy's fireworks display was beautifully choreographed and star-studded with colourful complexity. The finale was fantastic.

There are less yahoos and chaos on the Kitsilano Beach and Vanier Park side. It is mostly families. I no longer go to English Bay for the fireworks display. On Saturdays, English Bay is a zoo full of drunken suburbianites ready to start trouble. The event draws 300,000 people. The competition has some of the best fireworks I have seen in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»