Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A Wedding in Kananaskis

I returned last night from a long weekend trip to Kananaskis for a wedding. It was my mate's cousin's wedding. I have also been to her sister and brother's weddings. Thank goodness this wedding was not in winter in Winnipeg like one of the other ones. (Hey, I sound bitter because one was a few days before Christmas in Winterpeg!)

We left at 6 am on Saturday and drove 10 hours through Merritt, Revelstoke, Golden, Canmore, and Banff. When I met foreigners or tourists in Vancouver or Australia, they always looked at me quizically when I replied I had never been to the Rockies. While driving through Banff and Yoho National Park, I was awe-struck by the glacier mountains and valley scenic views. We saw mountain goats, big horn sheep, and an osprey. Unfortuately, we also drove past a black bear cub that had been hit by a vehicle.

We arrived at the Delta Lodge in Kananaskis an hour before the barbecue. It was good to see my mate's extended family on his father's side again. I am finally learning the correct names of the many aunts, uncles, and cousins. Guests came from all over Canada, Australia, Sweden, and the Grand Caymans.

The wedding ceremony was outside facing a mountain under a tent. The weather was looking bleak, but the sun came out and shone down on everyone after there ceremony was finished. The justice of the peace spoke of equality, balance, harmony and spirituality. It was one of the best ceremonies I have ever been too. When we entered the seating area, friends of the bride and groom gave us rocks collected from their favourite childhood areas. We were asked to hold them tight and transfer positive energy and thoughts to them. On the way to the reception, we dropped our rocks in a large vase with sand on the bottom. It was such a beautiful way to create a momento from the ceremony.

The reception was held in a beautiful ballroom. There were wonderful and heartfelt speeches, toasts, and a slide show. The first dance was a fabulous two-step waltz to Shania Twain's Forever and Always. Dancing went all night and the floor was packed. I danced to most 80s songs (of course!). I lasted until 12:30 am (good thing I had a therapeutic massage in the spa). Definitely, one of the best weddings I have ever been too.

Listening to: James Blunt - Beautiful

 

No comments: