Monday, September 25, 2006

Margaret Cho, Last Kiss, and The Drive

Good weekend overall. I studied calculus, cleaned, and had lots of fun and sunshine. You think summer is officially over, but then you have a warm and sunny day like Sunday.

On Friday, Kelly and I went to see Margaret Cho at the Orpheum. I had only ever seen her stand-up comedy routines on DVD or video. I was so excited to see her live. We stopped at Doolin's Pub prior to the show for some drinks and eats.

Prior to Miss Cho taking the stage, the Gay Mafia from Los Angeles took the stage. MC Lisp and L Word took the stage and dropped dope rhymes about gay culture and lifestyle, including Take You Homo and Funky Fag Hag. They both were hilarious and got the crowd going.

Then Margaret Cho took the stage. She looked absolutely fabulous! She said she finally had accepted herself for who she was and what she looked like, and I guess the inner beauty finally came through.

Her comedy set was hilarious, as always. Plenty of jokes about all kinds of topics, including gay and lesbian culture, predjudice, ignorance, politics, US vs. Canada, pop culture, and personal stories. I love her mom impressions. We laughed non-stop.

After the show, we phoned up Omid; but he did not answer. We left a message stating we needed help and we could not find cake. We wanted to track him down to go for dessert. But I guess it was not in our destiny.

 

On Saturday, I got my hair trimmed up for Fasty & Gia's wedding. (Not the playa one, the Thanksgiving one.) Brandon flat-ironed it and it looked awesome. The red and caramel-blonde highlights really came back out. I purchased a flat-iron from a coworker, so I just have to start practicing myself.

I was so annoyed on Friday when I was heading downtown because I noticed a parking ticket on my windshield wiper. I went to Safeway after class Thursday night. I was exhausted and I ran across the street to Shopper's for hair product. Then I went to go to Safeway for cat litter. I guess the parking attendant was watching me and saw that I left the parking lot. He enforcer gave me a $50 parking ticket. That seems excessive and outrageous. I have to print out my bank statement and haggle Safeway management after work today to try and get it reduced or removed.

After studying for an hour, Poiboy called me up. We were going to see The Last Kiss with Zach Braff. The movie was great. Kind of an updated Swingers. The directing, editing and characters were wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie about a lead character going through a half-life crisis and his friends' relationships collapsing around him.

I spent the evening studying more and then I watched Serenity by Joss Whedon. I am a huge Buffy and Angel fan. I have not seen Firefly, which this movie is based on. The movie was great, full of action, thrilleresqueness, and science fiction. Good special effects, and enjoyable and entertaining overall. I am definitely going to check out the tv show.

 

The last day of the weekend, Sunday, was beautiful. The sun was shining and it was warm. I did some more homework and some cleaning. I met up with K8 and we went to Commercial Drive to so some window shopping. We stopped in at Havana for lunch. I had the usual chicken salad and she had the crab salad. The place was packed throughout and the staff is awesome.

We checked out a few shops including Banshee, Beckwoman's, Ten Thousand Villages, and Womyn's Ware. Gia dropped by to meet up with us and things just got better and better! We walked back up the other side and stopped at Grandview Park. There is a new waterpark there with beautiful painted flowers and bugs all over it.

We continued back towards 1st Avenue. We stopped for Red Orange Gelato (yum!). We ran into Howler at another Gelato store while waiting for BT to meet up with us. We stopped at the Red Burrito for bites. The food smelled great, but I was not hungry. We continued towards Trout Lake, but ended up calling it an afternoon. I chilled and read Irvine Welsh's book Ecstasy while cuddling a cat. Finished the evening off with Simpsons, Family Guy, and The War At Home.

Listening to: Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends

 

No comments: