Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Bo Kong, Burlesque and Hollywoodland

Last weekend, I enjoyed a variety of social events and entertainment with a little bit of chores and relaxation. On Friday, Neil and Jennifer were passing through Vancouver to London on their way back from Burning Man. A large group of us went to Bo Kong Vegetarian on Main & 14th to say hello, goodbye. I had never been to Bo Kong before, but it is always nominated as one of the best vegetarian places in town. Luckily, a frequent patron ordered most of the dishes for two tables of people to share.

I heartily enjoyed delicious dishes of spring rolls, deep-fried soy milk, sizzling steak, orange chicken cutlets, an eggplant dish, and a shiitake mushroom dish. This was hands-down some of the best vegetarian food I have ever tasted. Also, the service was excellent. Bo Kong is a Buddhist Chinese vegetarian restaurant. It is usually a close runner-up in the Best Vegetarian category of best restaurants in Vancouver.

 

On Saturday, I reviewed Precalculus in preparation for Calculus next week. I ran some errands and did some chores. In the evening, I met up with M-Files at Tinsletown to watch Hollywoodland at Cinemark Theatres. The movie was fantastic. I used to doubt Ben Affleck's acting capabilities, but he was superb in this movie. The whole cast was fanastic, including Adrien Brody, Diane Lane and Bob Hoskins. A great drama and oscar contender.

After the movie, we went to the Lamplighter in Gastown for Chaz Royal's Burlesque Social Club. This was my first experience viewing Burlesque and I was completely blown away. All the girls were fantastic, classy and talented. The crowd became saturated after an hour, so there was less whistling, hooting and hollering. I really enjoyed Via Rose and Farrah. Champagne Sparkles was delightful too.

After two intermissions, we decided to leave the show and head down Granville Street towards Davie to get something to eat. I wanted poutine from Fritz European Fry House on Davie Street, but the lineup was long and we did not want to wait. So, we settled for pizza next door. The pizza was good and not like other ghetto pizza places. After snacks and people watching, we parted ways and I went home to bed just before 2 am.

Listening to: The Beatles - Hello Goodbye

 

No comments: