Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Eviction On the Horizon?

Less than a month ago, our low-rise building in Kitsilano was sold. A neighbour informed me the other day that the new owner let it slip that he is planning on renovating the building to charge higher rents. He can evict us with 2 months notice. I checked online at the Rental Tenancy Office and I think this is true. I would hope it would be 6 months (better vacancy options in April because of the students finishing), but it looks like the tenancy law in this area is weak.

I have lived in this building for 6 years and love the location and building itself. I half expected the rents to increase with the new owner, but I never expected I may be out on my ass in Christmas. I read all the time in the local newspapers how landlords are evicting people to renovate in order to charge higher rents because of the economic boom. Nonetheless, you never expect it will happen to you and you may be homeless. I hope I can find something in time. I think the earliest we will be out is February 2007, but one never knows.

Listening to: Barenaked Ladies - If I Had A $1,000,000

 

No comments: