Monday, May 08, 2006

Whole Foods wins with neo-hippies and aging baby-boomers

I just finished watching a profile on Whole Foods and co-founder and CEO John Mackey on CNBC's new show American Made (touted as a show profiling Entrepeneurs).


I remember first learning about Whole Foods when it was profiled in the Globe and Mail's business magazine Report On Business a few years ago. I read it in my doctor's office.

I instantly thought, an Texas based grocery chain that specializes in natural and organic foods... and believes in ethical principles for employees, the environment and the consumer? Impossible!

I did some initial research on the grocery chain (mainly through its web site). Sure, they can publicize the ideal of a profitable corporation that gives back to the employees, the community and the environment, but how much of it is true?

I was enthusiastic about the building of a Whole Foods in West Vancouver, British Columbia. I would be able to see a store for myself. Most grassroots companies' ideals, dreams, visions, and philosophies get sweep out the door when they are bought by larger corporations.


I am always impressed by the selection of fresh, healthy natural and organic food selection in the store. What made my jaw drop instantly was the fresh, ready to order take-out section, soup bar, salad bar, hot entree bar, stir-fry bar, pizza bar, and the shelves of prepared food. I have tried the fresh soups, salads, and entrees such as salmon with rice and vegetables.

People always gripe at how expensive the prepared items are. However, I think it is far cheaper and healthier than eating out every day at fast-food places for lunch or dinner. Even eating frozen pre-packaged foods from the cheaper grocery chain that is chalk full of 1300 mg of sodium, numerous calories and chemical additives. Some people want to spend their dispoable income on other priorities; I would rather spend it on what I am putting in my body.

The employees are always friendly, happy, smiling and laughing while working at Whole Foods. I never notice that at any other grocery store chain except Capers in Vancouver which is owned by Wild Oats.


What I learned from the show:

The natural and organic grocery chain has come a long way from the original local store run by hippies in Austin, Texas.

Seems the management and executives must not be paid more than 14 times more than the
lowest paid employee in a store. 93% of all stock is given to non-executive employees.

5% of all profits (after taxes) are given to charitible causes.

The company now sponsors two foundations. One includes the World Planet foundation that helps alleviate poverty in Bangledesh by providing fair-trade wages for products
and services.

There is another program to provide fair-trade for bananas and coffee in Costa Rica.

Another project is the Animal Compassion Foundation, which researched agricultural livestock practices in the American farming industry. The project wants to start encouraging better animal welfare and care for livestock animals.


North Americans spend little of their disposable income on groceries, whereas,
Europeans and Japanese spend a large amount of their disposable income on groceries.
In the 1950s, Americans used to spend about 20% of their disposable income on
groceries. This has been reduced substantially during the end of the 20st century.



When you are young, you can take your health for granted. As you get older you realize you have to take a more active part in practicing good health, feeling better, and changing your lifestyle for longevity.


I am noticing more and more chains starting to carry additional natural and organic
foods. Suddenly, there are natural food aisles in major chain grocery stores.


I am so concerned about what I put in my body now. I was so fearful of loosing a third of my life when a close relative died of cancer in her 50s. I stopped drinking milk and switched to soy milk. I started reading labels religiously. I started cooking for myself more and eating more well balanced diet, incorporated yoga and meditation in my lifestyle, even walking more and driving less.

I feel I can cut down in other areas of my life to incorporate a higher quality and value of groceries in my diet--eating out less, consuming less, and driving less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»