Sunday, May 14, 2006

Crash-Test Mommy

I child minded my five year old niece this weekend. I picked her up Friday after work. I will never commute in regular rush-hour traffic ever. Once I travelled to suburbia to pick her up, we went to Connaught Park next to Kitsilano Community Centre.

Up early on Saturday, we went to breakfast at Cafe Zen. Then it was off to Science World for a few hours, her favourite kids destintation in Vancouver. In the lobby, there was a statue of a Pharaoh sitting on a throne made out of Lego! I was excited to see a new Lego exhibit LEGO: Secrets of the Pharaohs coming May 20th featuring an Egyptian theme. Ever since I was a child, I have been excited and facinated about Egyptian history and culture.

Later, we went to Douglas Park to have a picnic and enjoy the large playground. The place was busy, but the children were friendly. Read her two stories before her bed time, including Dr. Seuss, and then I chatted a few friends before bed.

Watching a child, nevermind more than one, 24/7 is quite a job. That is even before adding the financial responsibilities. It's a bit of work. Now that she's past preschool, she does not have been monitored all the time. I can rest or do chores without keeping an eye on her constantly. In the early days, she'd easily get into trouble or make a mess.

I was trying to find some day camp weekly sessions to enroll her in for the summer. Then I could care for her for a week. But it is difficult to find ones that are on when I am at work and have an overlap until I get off work. I think swimming lessons would be great for her. I guess I will just keep trying to find something.

Today, will consist of more playground fun at Kitsilano Beach. In the afternoon, we will be going to Watermania in Richmond. It has a small children's area with a jungle gym and a wave pool. There is also a larger pool and a waterslide. Most likely we will finish off with the traditional Pirate Pak at White Spot.

Not a bad weekend with my niece. I really enjoy spending time with her. It allows me to be a kid again. I am looking forward to taking her to Playland with other kids. I wish she had children her own age to play with on evenings and weekends.

I am a little rundown with a cold, although, I think I am at the final stage of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»