Monday, November 27, 2006

Winter Wonderland

So, I officially have the day off due to snow of 20 to 40 cm from a period of constant snow fall from Saturday evening until Monday morning. I was getting ready for work and had a thought of, maybe I should phone first. Sure enough, no one was at work. Thank goodness I did not bus out and try to go all by my lonesome self!



 

Anyhows, on Sunday I went for cocoa with Leanne to Bean Around the World on Cornwall yesterday afternoon. We sat and talked for a bit which was nice. The snow is so peaceful and tranquil. Unfortuately, most Vancouverites cannot drive in it, especially without experience or snow tires. Warnings say stay off the roads!

I met up with Danielle for dinner and we went to the Cactus Club on Robson Street for dinner. I had my usual Jack Daniels burger (Homer drool...) with fries. I had not had fries in a few months and they were tasty! I have been craving a Vera's Burger Shack barbecue burger, but J.D. will have to do.

We went back to her suite at the Sheraton Wall Centre Hotel and watched the Simpsons, Family Guy and War at Home. All good bets. Her bed was so comfy, I did not want to leave! But with no PJs and it is always good to wake up in your own bed. I wonder if her flight will be able to leave Vancouver.

 

On the previous weekend last Saturday, Michael, Lola and a few other good samaritans of the newly formed Free Hugs Vancouver collective went down to Robson Street in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery to proudly initiate the very first Free Hugs Campaign. It was originally created by this guy (video on YouTube) who started the idea. He was shut down by security on a shopping promenade, but he started a petition to get it going again with over 30,000 signatures.

So, now there is Free Hugs movements all over the world.

The Free Hugs Vancouver went for about 4 hours. It started out slow. People were skeptical. Many responded with, "What's the catch or gimick?" and "What company do you work for?" or "What product are you giving away?" Eventually, people caught on, including a woman who gave a hug from her father on the other side of the world (it was his birthday). Another guy said he had a terrible week and could really use a hug. I am going to try and go to the next one, which will be at Granville Island.

More adults need to hug more often in the world--with friends or even strangers. People hug so much when they are young, as adults we are obsessed with this 2 feet of personal space and do-not-enter my boundary area. I am lucky to have a circle of friends who hug upon meeting and parting.

 

No comments: