Monday, June 19, 2006

It has been a nice, fun and relaxing weekend that has preluded a week of warm sunshine (finally!!). On Friday, I went to the Radiant Heat Fundraiser. It was a blast in a house in East Vancouver. DJs Geminatrix and Scottish mixed great music. Some of the RH fire performers showed off their hot stuff. Was there late, but I had to give my support.

 

Got up early Saturday because I had to be downtown at 9:30 am for a haircut and hightlights. I am going to a wedding on the long weekend and I wanted to look good for photos et al. Unfortunately, now I feel like a rock-surfer summer chick. The highlights are thick and bolder around my face (reddy-beige on top and caramel-blonde around my face). I am used to thinner, scattered hightlights. Change is good, but I think it is too much change. It may work out if I start an angst-rocker-chick band. However, I am dismayed and trying to make the best of it.

In the evening, I went to join Brian and his friends Team Body Massage Machine at the Easter Seals 24 Hour Relay. They were great hosts and were setup just off the pool. I watched them play volleyball against a Burnaby High School team, who did a synchronized dance routine prior to play. Kudos to Team Pink who looked great.

A good event with great community spirit with teams from all kinds of companies and organizations. Music, costumes, theme camps and crazy people... kind of reminds me of an event with hotter weather in a desert.

I was thinking about going back next year and offering to cook breakfast for Team Body Massage Machine. Do not think I can offer my running skills. Maybe power walking? The route is about 4 km. I ended up staying late at the event (for the second night in a row). Then I went to the airport to pick up my mate. He was returning from a week in New York.

 

Slept in Sunday and felt disoriented from waking up later than usual. No jet lag for me though. Watched Mean Girls on the movie channel. Such a well written, well directed film.

Met up with my mate and we walked over to get slurpees. Sat at the dog beach by Vanier Park across from the Maritime Museum and watched dogs run and swim with other dogs at the playground.

There were sailboats speckled all over the water. We could see Bowen Island and Stanley Park. We walked past the Vancouver Museum towards Cornwall Avenue for lunch.

We tried Juliet's Cafe on Cypress and Cornwall. It had moved to a larger location from across the street years ago. We finally decided to try it. It was dead inside with a few patrons in and out on the patio. We ordered sandwiches and a salad. The sandwiches took forever to arrive without our salad. The waitress was unenthused. Why work in food service if you do not care for it in any way? We had to go back and remind her of the salad. Food was decent, but I cannot say I would ever go back there.

Hung out and lazed around. Watched Mythbusters with the slingshot episode. They were testing the theory of Canadians trying to slingshot into the United States. (Shouldn't it be the other way around?)

Got takeout from Wrapzone up on 4th Avenue. Tasty and refreshing smoothies and wraps. Was perplexed that stores on 4th Avenue on a Sunday closed so early pre-summer. Watched two episodes of the Simpsons before heading home to sleep.

 

Listening to: Sheryl Crow - Soak Up the Sun

 

No comments: