Tuesday, April 18, 2006

In Bloom

Well, a few things have happened over the past week. All of which have contributed to my positivity and overall well-being. Who knew a change of environment, some greenery, and a weekend getaway can achieve a new spring in my step?

First, a few weekends ago I went up to the Sunshine Coast for Burning Man Vancouver Recompression VI. It was my fourth year in attendance. I found the event to be more mellow than usual (which is what I needed). Kelly and I coordinated our 80s-themed cabin complete with retro-stylin', music, movies, and mayhem. Typically, we arrive mid-morning Friday and take our time settling in. However, I started a new job (information to come further), so I left after work on an evening ferry to Langdale.

All is not lost! We managed some audio/visual difficulties and finished the 80s trivial pursuit for prizes. Fun theme cabins included Puddle Pirates, Trailer Park Trash, Champion Kissers, Mustache, and Space Virgins. The people were fabulous (of course!), the food was good, and the camp staff were friendly. I volunteered for a Harm Reduction shift on Friday night. I met some new people and got to know some I had only known by name. The fire show was spectacular. I was happy having coordinated Rangers and Harm Reduction staff during the event.

The weekend seemed to fly by and the weather could have been slightly better. It was awesome having two fire performers, two rangers, and a couple who gave me a banana guard in our cabin. A fun thing to do is hold the banana guard to your ear and sing banana phone.

Second, I accepted a new job as an administrative assistant at a publications office. The office publishes several local magazines. Upon entering my third week at this job, I realized what a difference there is to working with a great group of friendly, euthusiastic circle of women who believe in equality and positivity. The previous two jobs I have worked in have been male-dominated and focused around power hierarchy, aggressiveness, and competitiveness. I realized how I have been longing for a place that centres around equality and positivity. It feels good to have found it while attending school part-time.

Third, I just finished final exams in Macroeconomics and Precalculus. (*jump in the air Breakfast Club style*) I am awaiting my grades. I will be going to Langara for second year and continuing to finish Calculus at Vancouver Community College.

Fourth, we started planning our annual road trip. We will be going to Golden, Radium, Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper with another couple. The Rockies has been on my to-do-list for awhile now. We are planning a ten-day road trip through each area to camp, hike, swim, and explore. I am so excited!

I had to put off my trip to Amsterdamn because of the new job (only 1 week of holidays this year). No worries. I plan to do Europe for a month next year. I am hoping Jesse will still be in Europe somewhere and we can somehow meet up.

Fifth, I bought my first house plants. I do not know why I have not bought plants before. Maybe I'm not a plant person? My father is a plant person--almost a jungle person. I bought a tropical plant, a weeping fig, and a airplane plant. I am debating naming them. No cat-plant conflicts as of yet. I made sure to buy cat-friendly (non-toxic) plants.

Other than that, I'm catching up on tv shows on DVD (Angel, Dead Like Me, Lost, L Word), watching movies, reading, cat herding, and socializing.

Ahh... the smell of spring. It makes me think of beaching, walking, card playing, camping, pot lucks, movie nights, board game nights, and overall socializing. Suddenly, the school term ends and I have a life.

No comments: