Monday, April 02, 2007

Warrington and York

After bringing one currency adapter that did not work, buying another at Boots that did not work, and asking three different places for leads and buying one at the Post Office near King's Cross Station, I finally had success. Mind you, I had to cut off the lip on the adapter, but I could charge my camera and cell phone.

Took a Virgin Train up north to Warrington. Arrive an hour early before check-in (hotels are strict there) and went over to the shopping promanade by Golden Square. I wanted to launder my clothes, but there was no where to do it.

I saw the memorial for a IRA bombing that killed two children in 1993.



Also, saw a very old pub, one of the oldest buildings in Warrington and the Mad Hatter's Tea Party.



Went back to check-in to the Travelodge. All the movies were old, so I watched television. I watched a children's show about Tommy Zoom and his wonder dog who both taught children about eco-friendliness. I got addicted to the soap opera Hollyoaks. Of course I watched The Simpsons.

My friend met up with me and we went for dinner at the Old Stone House. We had steak and seafood on hot stone tiles. Delicious!

 

Took the train to York on Tuesday morning. Lots of green and farm scenery of the old English Country side. Went through many smaller towns along the way. The city of York was surrounded by old Roman walls. We checked into the Golden Fleece, which was apparently one of the most haunted inns in York. Just after we arrived, it started snowing.

Our Minster suite was on the top floor and the floor was slanted. We had to sleep with the bathroom light on and the curtains open. No ghost sightings. Lady Peckett's room is the most haunted suite in the inn.

We took a walk around the Shambles. We saw the York Minster, a Roman gate, and the Art Gallery.

We had lunch along the river at the Lowther Pub. Delicious roast turkey dinner and my first vodka J20 (mango orange).

After, we went to the York Dungeon for a bit of spooky fun. Stories about a ghost that haunts our inn, a Roman legion and the torture chamber. I was tried as a witch by a judge in a court of law.

We went to a few pubs for dinner and drinks and ended our night at The Reflex, and 80s club with uber-cheesiness and loads of fun. Many people were dressed up, cheesy music, shooters named after 80s celebs and Ghostbusters on the tvs. I absolutely loved it. My mate won me a Winnie the Pooh bear out of the machine.

 

On Wednesday, we went to the Jorvik Cafe for breakfast. We saw the Law Courts, and Clifford's Tower.



 

We tried to go to the Viking Museum, but there were loads of school children about. Instead, we went to the Punch Bowl for lunch. Saw an old Medieval Guild that was built in 1357. One of the oldest buildings in York.



 

We grabbed some cookies from Millie's and refreshments from Marks and Spencers, then chilled out and watched tele. After relaxing, we went on an award-winning Ghost Hunt with a dramatic Victorian gentleman as our guide. It was eerie walking around dark, narrow cobblestone alley ways in the night. Stories about dead children always freak me out. (Good thing we left the light on back at our suite in the inn.)

After being very spooked by ghost stories, we went for a drink at the Black Swan Pub. A former brothel with an infamous upstairs haunted inn that is no longer rent rooms.
We continued one to Yates, a student bar with constantly adjusting drink prices, and The Reflex, a ultra-cheesy but cool 80s bar. I really enjoyed the celebrity shooters, people dressed up, and Ghostbusters on the tvs. Of course we finished the night off with a traditional kebab.



 

Listening to: New Order - True Faith

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.